Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Communication

For my assignment this week, I was asked to: think about the cultural diversity you see in your colleagues at school, in your neighborhood, in your workplace, and also, possibly, within your family. Consider all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on.
Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?  I contemplated this question all week and did not think I communicate any differently with my friends, whether Black, Native American or Asian. However, I do communicate differently with people at work and the parents of my students. I don’t speak Spanish and most of my students are Hispanic. I often use my hands to communicate and speak much more succinctly and slowly when communicating. Sometimes I draw pictures or even ask an older sibling to interpret what I am saying to the parents of my first graders. I also lean in and listen much more carefully. Of course, I conduct myself differently in casual social situations using informal communication, than I would say at church or in formal communication with colleagues. I don’t see myself having much informal communication with people at work and have to guard my words carefully, since I am a teacher.
Based on what you have learned this week, share at least three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified. Some communication strategies we have learned this week are to look at people when they are talking and really listen to them. I have trouble with this and I justify it by thinking I am multi-tasking. My daughter often accuses me of not listening to her because I am not stopping and looking at her. This is one area that I have been working on. It’s very hard for me to sit still, be quiet and pay attention. I have been told I can do ten things to someone else’s one thing, and I pride myself in that. A second thing I learned was to validate people when they are talking and to keep my mouth shut. I can nod or say things like “uh-huh” to let them know I am really paying attention. A third thing I learned was not to take it so personally when people are texting. I observed a group of young people for an extended period of time. They were all communicating, laughing and talking and all never seemed to put their phones down. I was surprised that they were so comfortable and not offended. I’m definitely living in a different world than I grew up in!

No comments:

Post a Comment