Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

What I Have Learned

One hope that I have when thinking about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that I will be deliberate and respectful in my teaching.
A goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity and social justice is that anti-biased education will become an essential element of all early childhood curriculum in American education in the very near future.
I wish to thank all of my colleagues who have posted comments and engaged in rich conversations with regard to the many issues we were to address during this course. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

2 comments:

  1. I share your viewpoint and think it should be a requirement for all educators to be aware of diversity, equity, biases and more. I think the problem is that many educators have children in their classes and do no know how to handle certain students and their families. As well some are not aware of their own biases which prevents them from seeing clearly. I wish you well and nothing but the best as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being intentional in my teaching is also a goal of mind. When I think about it, there are many good things that I do in the classroom, but I do them out of habit, not with intention behind them. If I add deliberation to my activities, they will mean more to me and to the children. Great working with you this semester.

    ReplyDelete