Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Nonviolent Communication and Conflict Management

For my assignment this week, I was to: think about any disagreements, or conflicts, you have recently experienced or are currently experiencing at work with a supervisor or colleague, or someone in your personal life. Share at least two strategies you have learned about that might help you manage or resolve the conflict more productively, and why these strategies might be effective.
A disagreement or conflict I have been engaged in recently is with regard to the way our team is teaching first graders to read. There are some practices going on that are not best practices and are not aligned with research. They also do not promote the best way for children to learn to read. I have been participating in these discussions with my team of five other first grade teachers.
Some practices that I am using to communicate with my colleagues are simply being respectful and not making accusations. I am also using research and data to promote some quality professional discussions with regard to ways to teach children to read. For instance, not one person of the other five on my team uses small group instruction, reading groups or literacy centers. I am offering my help and encouragement whenever possible. I want to encourage my colleagues so that they will feel comfortable using small group instruction and successful. I am looking for and suggesting professional development they can attend and sharing books on the subject that I own. I have offered to have teachers come into my room to observe and let me help them make a plan.
I am definitely using the three R’s for communication: being respectful, reciprocal and responsive. I am practicing talking less and listening more. I am focusing on the other person’s thoughts, ideas and obstacles. My colleagues agreed that we are all engaged in respectful conversations with regard to this situation and are working toward a solution and focusing on doing what is best for our students.
(Adapted from O’Hair & Wiemann, 2009, p. 220)

No comments:

Post a Comment