Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Early Childhood Research

Last week, I began the fifth course of ten toward my master's in early childhood. This course is Research and the very title intimidates me. My chosen topic for my Research Project is how English Language Learners learn best in the classroom. Over 95% of the 700 students in our school are of Hispanic origin. Statistically, our students show great improvement over other schools when it comes to testing and mastering skills. We have full-time, Spanish speaking assistants in every early childhood classroom, pre-K to 3rd grade. Part of my research is to find out how having these assistants affects the language acquisition of these children. Additionally, I have found through reading and taking professional development courses that showing these students pictures and using objects helps to promote this language acquisition process as well. I will be doing a simulated research project for the next 7 weeks on this subject. If you have any experience with this subject, thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment